I am enjoying the summer months here in Dunedin and the surrounding NZ area. In the last week and a half, I have taken part in some fun activities within an hour or so of Dunedin, instead of venturing out to different parts of the South Island. Those adventures will come soon. All in good time. The highlight of my week has to have been the time I spent kayaking around the Otago Peninsula and getting a close look at the seals (both adult and babies as big as your arm), the sea lions, penguins, and albatrosses. Our guide, Gordon, was a very friendly and knowledgeable guy who was a retired school teacher. He had some great stories to share about the 10+ foster children his wife and him took up in their lifetime and were challenged to raise. Kemper, Josh (Marie and Jenny's new roommate), Jenny, Marie, and I kayaked with Gordon along the rocky cliffs that border the bay/ocean. Kemper and I shared a double kayak and could barely keep up with Gordon--he didn't even look like he was working hard to move his solo kayak, but he was haulin' across the water telling us about the four different species of birds that were situated on a huge rock. It was a fun day trip and a good teaser trailer for some kayaking I'd like to do near Milford Sound here in the next three weeks or so while the weather is still good.
The Moeraki Boulders and Sandfly Bay were two wonderful beach spots that everyone should visit if they find themselves near Dunedin. The boulders are these big, 3-5 feet tall spherical rocks that were exhumed by coastal erosion and cemented together by calcite. Local Maori tales tell of a warriors' shipwreck that left dozens of petrified ship pieces on the shore. This spot is a popular tourist attraction and people love to come stand on these boulders and take photos (see mine below).
Sandfly Bay is a beach area preserved by the Department of Conservation. The bay is home to the yellow-eyed penguin, sea lions, and other creatures including a special type of bull kelp found only in Chile and South New Zealand. It was really cool to see the massive dunes and the fact that sand had been blown by the wind so much that it even ended up on this small mountain nearby.
I had a small go at fly-fishing at this dam near North Dunedin. No luck. I then made a vow to contact someone that actually knows something about fishing, so I am headed to the Otago Angler's Association club meeting on Wednesday night. The president, Chris, has already offered to take me and another interested int'l student named Colyer on a trip at the very beginning of March. This excites me.
The Thieves Alley Market and the Sat. morning farmers market have been a nice chance to take advantage of the good weather and see some local fruits, vegetables, clothing, jewelry, and other goods (soap carved in the perfect shape of a cupcake...ok) on sale. Plus, the last time we visited, this group of seven African men were singing a sort of rockin'/reggae thing at some of the highest octaves I have known to man. I enjoyed.
We celebrated Chinese New Year last Sunday evening at the Chinese Gardens near the Otago Railway Station. I felt like I was in the movie Kill Bill or something. My Kiwihost, Michael, performed a Japanese drumming routine (Taiko) with his drumming group as we looked on with wonder. The fireworks were splendid, too.
I have been cooking like a fiend and it has been a success so far! Pleased to announce that a Marsala dish, Enchilada Casser-Ole!, and Peanut Butter Cream pie are now added to the repertoire. I now understand why people love to cook for others--if you want a way to win people over, make them some flippin' food! I've been able to play some basketball with some NZ fellas (they expect Americans to play like Michael Jordan) and was happy to let them down. They still enjoyed playing with a guy who was desperately trying to introduce the fast-break (there's no 'offsides' in basketball guys!!) and PASSING. It was still a good time. I even got to play Settlers of Catan with some Americans that live near Castle street and it was nice to connect to a game from home that is quite simply epic. Fr. Mark continues to be a friendly face at Holy Name Parish nearby and has invited me over for community meals or a coffee whenever I am around.
It has been a blessing to meet more and more international students and Kiwis that are arriving here for the first time. Rasmus (a flatmate in my complex who hails from Sweden) and I went on a university tour (and a social gathering) and met a bunch of friendly students from Finland, Hungary, Czech, Denmark, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Canada, and the US. We all grabbed some much-too-expensive coffee afterwards and it was very pleasing to sit down with people that live nowhere close to you. Later that night, we all went over to the local bar (called The Baaaaaaaa...clever) and played pool and hung out.
People here have all sorts of diverse opinions and viewpoints, but they all seem to see New Zealand through the same lens: a place where you can go explore and have fun adventures throughout the country, but also a place where life is slow, the people are friendly, and everyone is welcome.
Stay tuned. You heard it here first.
PHOTOS
[CLICK on photos to Zoom/Slideshow, Scroll down for a few captions]
| Cucumber for sale. |
| Sandfly Bay. |
| Edward and I. |
| Oh hey. |
| Taste of the good life. |
| Our guide Gordon. |
I love your blog- makes me want to come over there!
ReplyDeleteHave fun!